This one-pot dinner is so simple and easily made with just a few items from your cupboard. Cool before refrigerating and this dish is perfect to have for lunch the next day.
Ingredients – Serves 2 Adults
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 small red peppers, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 medium chicken fillets (260g / 9 oz.), diced
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 150g / 5 oz. brown basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
- 5 tablespoons of toasted flaked almonds
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the onions with the bay leaves and cinnamon stick and gently cook for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Prepare the stock as per packet instructions.
- When the onions are softened, add the red pepper, turmeric, chicken and curry powder. Stir well and heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Next, add the rice, pour over the stock and stir.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the coriander and serve with the almonds scattered on top.
Serve with a colorful, tossed salad to increase your vegetable intake.